Sunday, July 10, 2011

What's liberal about liberalism

Suppose I go up in the attic and find a chair that dates from 1900.  In due course, I have to change the upholestry, replace the seat, the back, and two of the four legs.  Is it the same chair, that is, can I still say that my chair dates back to 1900?

That philosophical question (Plato I believe) comes to mind when I read Mark Steyn's post at NRO.  It seems our Energy Secretary has justified the ban on incandescent bulbs with the following:
 
"We are taking away a choice that continues to let people waste their own money."

I don't know what the right term is, but I'm pretty sure that what goes by the label of liberalism isn't liberal any more. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/271470/light-motif-mark-steyn


No comments:

Post a Comment